9/21/2012

Teething Tips and Tricks

My baby is teething right now.  I thought it might be helpful to share information I learned about teething while earning my BA degree in Dental Hygiene as well as things I have learned about teething from my little ones and being their mommy.

My family and I moved about a month ago.  The only things left to unpack are books so this was not an easy task but I found my old Dental Hygiene book from school and this is what it says.  The book is written in dental terms so i'll translate it into English for you. : )
Signs your baby is teething:
Excessive drooling
Irritability
Change in appetite
Interrupted sleep patterns
Crying
Fever or diarrhea usually are not symptoms and require consultation with a physician to assess the presence of a systemic illness.

When will I see my babies teeth coming in (Erupting)?
 Just FYI these ranges are months...not years.  Your baby will get teeth before they are 8. : )
Top teeth:
Central incisor (2 front teeth): 10 (8-12)
Lateral incisor (2 on the sides): 11 (9-13)
Canine (Vampire teeth, corners): 19 (16-22)
First Molar: 16 (13-19 boys) (14-18 girls)
Second molar: 29 (25-33)

Bottom teeth:
Central incisor: 8 (6-10)
Lateral incisor: 13 (10-16)
Canine: 20 (17-23)
First Molar: 16 (14-18)
Second molar: 27 (23-31 boys) (24-30 girls)

How do I help my baby?
1-Chewing on objects
cold wash cloth, 
Hard, solid teething ring
2-Numbing Solutions
Over the counter numbing solutions are not recommended,  products contain a strong anesthetic that is difficult to control.  It may numb the entire oral cavity and, if swallowed, suppress the gag reflex.

Now, that's what the book says....and it's true but as a mom I want to share some of the things that I have learned a long the way.  One of my boys was really fussy while teething and the other hasn't been too bad...so far.  Remember that all children are unique and will be different.  The first sign, I notice when it comes to teething is the drool.  Isn't he cute, drool and all!


Another way I can tell their are teeth coming, is EVERYTHING goes straight into the mouth!


Other Signs I notice:
Loss of appetite or more picky eating.
THEY LOVE TO CUDDLE! ; ) 
More needy, not necessarily fussy.

I know the book says fevers are not usually symptoms of teething, BUT both of my boys have had low grade fevers when their teeth are erupting.  Maybe it's just coincidence or because they are sucking and chewing of EVERYTHING and get sick.  I'm not 100% sure...just saying!

I have documented some of the things we do to help ease the teething pain.  This will differ depending on what age your baby is when they get their teeth.  Remember you probably know what your child is capable of and which methods will work best for your child.  

Ice Pops
A stick of celery, I like to keep a bag in the fridge.  This is one of my favorites, because it's not too cold for him to hold on his own.
Frozen Bagel...be prepared to clean up a little mess.
Frozen or refrigerated Go-Gurt. 
String Cheese.....he loves to gnaw on it as he eats it....HIS FAVORITE! 
Cold Watermelon...this is a juicy mess (notice no shirt) but he loves it!
He is holding a toothbrush...yes, chewing on it makes him very happy!

Carrots frozen or just cold.
A frozen spoon, or just share some ice-cream and you will both be happy!

If you are worried about your baby choking on small pieces of food, then try putting it in a mesh bag like the one munchkin sells, or a clean sock works as well.

Teething toys can be life savers.  They are my favorite for church or when we are on the go.  Here are a few favorites.




I have used teething tablets and baby orajel, but try to use them as a last resort.  It seems like nights are one of the harder times when it comes to teething so I use Ibuprofen to ease the pain so my little one can sleep.  I hope this helps!  If you have any other thoughts or ideas, I would love to hear them! 
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. carrots are one of our favorite teethers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for those sweet info, Holly! I’m sure first time mothers would appreciate all the ideas and tips you wrote about teething. And I think your little one is having a great time on this phase. He looks comfy and at ease eating different food. And I guess he has you to thank for on making the teething phase fun for him! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...