4/20/2012

Child's Chef Hat and Apron Tutorial

I made my little guy his very own apron and chef hat and he's LOVED it! 

I let him make macaroni and cheese all by himself.  (All I did was drain the water, he did everything else!)  He is such a good little cook, I've really enjoyed watching him.

Anyways, on to the tutorial!

This is a fun inexpensive and fairly easy project.

You will need:
Sewing Machine
1 Twin Flat Sheet (Sold at Wal-mart for $5) 
Scissors
White thread
Patterns

I used the free chef hat pattern from "You Can Make This"

I free handed the apron...although you can find a free pattern at "Michael Miller Fabrics"

Here is what I did:
1- I gathered all my materials

I ended up getting a Twin size white flat sheet from Wal-mart to make the Chef hats and aprons because it was less expensive then buying fabric...I am glad I did because it ended up making the project super easy and cut back on a lot of sewing. 

2- I cut the edges off the sheet (I saved the edges and used them for ties)


3- Fold  the sheet (now just a big piece of fabric) in half  and cut out aprons (Each apron has front and back-2 pieces)

4- Cut out hat top (Just 1 piece each)

Here is a picture to help make things clearer:

  5- Follow directions with hat pattern to sew Hat headband and top together.

6- Sew pocket on front side of apron, sew straps to apron, then put front and back sides of apron together (pocket on the inside and straps tucked in and out of the way) and sew together leaving a small opening to turn apron right side out.

7- Inside apron out and iron, then sew along edge (just like you would with a receiving blanket)

8- Have fun watching your kiddos show off their new outfits and help you cook!

 If you have any questions leave me a comment, I know I didn't explain things super well...I wish I had more photos of the process.  

2 comments:

  1. absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!
    My 5 year old daughter loves to cook and this would be a great prezzie for her. I will probably make my two nieces matching sets as well for christmas.

    I don't know why I didn't think about buying a sheet to make them as I use sheets and duvets to make toiles (mock-up of a garment), for college. I may even have some fabric in my stash.

    Just need to get sewing for christmas now, lol.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...